This week I have (virtually) visited Bassett Green Primary School to help the pupils there learn about how to be safe and responsible on-line. Alongside Parent Zone and Google I helped present a virtual assembly as part of Be Internet Legends.
Be Internet Legends is an interactive educational programme from Google and Parent Zone which helps primary school children across the UK to become safe and confident explorers of the online world.
Developed in close collaboration with experts, children and schools, Be Internet Legends focuses on five internet safety pillars:
● Being Sharp about what they share
● Being Alert to scams and phishing attacks
● Being Secure by creating strong passwords and looking after their personal information
● Being Kind to others online
● Being Brave by talking to trusted adults when they come across something they’re not sure about
There are lots of free resources available for teachers, including a downloadable PSHE Association-accredited curriculum pack and an additional digital wellbeing module (g.co/beinternetlegends) . Google and Parent Zone also offer virtual teacher workshops to help staff make the most of these resources – and strengthen their support for school communities(p arentzone.org.uk/onlineworkshops)
I am sure they would be delighted to hear from other Primary Schools interested in taking part and I am happy to pass on contact details.